Sunday 1 July 2018

Suloniathon, my first marathon.....

Suloniathon, my first marathon......
A call from my son is timed at 4 pm everyday, when he returns home from school.  A fortnight ago, he called when I was in the midst of a meeting and began telling me excitedly that their school was organising a marathon and we had to participate in it as family. He could barely contain himself as he continued in the same breathe that it was for a social cause, to promote education and knowledge. He made it sound so easy by saying there was a 5 km and 2 km option and that it was on a Sunday, 1st July. So I had no reason to refuse participation. I muttered that we could discuss this in the night as I was in a meeting but I knew that he already confirmed our participation. Of course, as parents, we both wanted to participate wholeheartedly and I completed the registration formalities .
Vishnu used to be excited each day after that and would make it a point to discuss the Marathon with me every day. In fact he even suggested getting into a fitness regime before the do. However, being human and caught up in the vagaries of life and work we landed up today morning with me being quite unprepared.
As soon as we entered we saw on stage the Principal, Ms.Revathi Srinivasan, Headmistress, Ms.Kabral and other faculty members. Mrs.Kabral set the tone rolling by announcing Zumba with gusto. Soon all the participants were rhythmically working out, following the footsteps of the instructor. We were pumped up with enough adrenalin for the run.
The event was flagged off by the Collector Thane, Mr.Kalyankar along with the Principal. The participants of the 5 km marathon began first . Vishnu and his father took off for it.
My 2 km run began 15 minutes later. I was really excited. I had previously participated in a walkathon. A marathon sounded exciting. Of course,  it wasn't possible for me to run continuously but it was fun managing to run and brisk walk to my catch my breath. I managed to complete the run with a feeling of immense satisfaction.
The morning air was pleasant, the Zumba had energised me sufficiently and completing the run made me invigorated that I had completed my first marathon. Of course, Vishnu's joy knew no bounds too. The completion of the run by me and his father was more exciting for him than his own timing of 5 kms in 27 minutes which according to me was highly appreciable for a first timer.
The event was perfectly managed with every detail in place. From the flagging off , to the distribution of medals and the sumptuous breakfast there was no chaos. The spirit of the school reflected along the way with teachers and students encouraging, cheering, guiding all the participants and providing water at intervals.
Smt. Sulochanadevi Singhania School is celebrating it's fifty years of glory. Among the year long activities planned by the school was this marathon, aptly named as the 'Suloniathon'.
It was a run for a cause and about making a difference to the society. The mission was to support knowledge and rehabilitation of the underprivileged students from a local school at Yeoor whose students also participated in the event.
The motto of the school reflects in the school song which emphasises on being human and protecting humanity even before acquring knowledge. This spirit was reflected in the Suloniathon.  Of course God's blessings are with the school and the cause, little wonder that the skies were clear and the rains too refrained from being a spoil sport.....

10 comments:

  1. Nice...good way to achieve fitness goals...in sync with social commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if i continue to exercise....let's see....

      Delete
  2. You write so well. Always look forward to the post. Your bubbly spirited enthusiasm for the marathon as per Vishnu's wish bespeaks of your zeal for simple joy and love for dear dear Vishnu. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....feels good when the mentor appreciates....

      Delete
  3. Very nicely written..

    Absolutely agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully written. Literally went through the experience reading it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Congratulations for running ur first marathon mam...Many more to come

    ReplyDelete

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe"

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe" Last week I was invited to AUM , The Centre of Global Art locate...