Tuesday 15 January 2019

Kesari Jeevan....zest for life....

Kesari Jeevan....zest for life....

Thirty years ago a chyawanprash advertisement of Zandu's Kesari Jeevan, was known for it's statement, "Saatth saal ke boodhey ya saatth saal ke jawaan" meaning, "60 year old person or 60 year old youth". The visual showed a lift closing just when a girl and an aged person are about to enter it and he let's the girl enter the lift while he himself takes the flight of stairs. The crucial part is that he reaches the concerned floor in the building a little before the lift.
Honestly speaking age is all in the mind. We can keep ourselves fit, be as youthful as we want or drown ourselves in gloom with our age fast advancing.
I was pleasantly surprised by my father the other day when we visited the Golden Swan Club at Yeoor Hills in Thane along with my son and nephew.
My son and nephew started playing table tennis. I went to bring a chair for my father to sit when he said let's play table tennis.
My father is 90 plus and not as surefooted as he used to be, so I was taken aback at first. However the next moment I was excited and full of joy and we both started playing. True to his spirit, he played wholeheartedly with correct timing to hit the ball, do proper placing and even hit a shot. My son, nephew and me were really thrilled. More than the game, it was the sparkle in his eyes which was more attractive. I wondered how little it takes to be happy. The only thing which is required perhaps is being involved in the activity and enjoying what we are doing along with others. My father was neither concerned about his age or the fact that he was holding a table tennis bat after almost 30 years or more. Yet he was all smiles , waving at me, cheering. He has always been known for this zest for life.
This spirit was part and parcel of him as we went for a short walk down the lake and the garden in the club. He walked with his gay spirit, chatting with me, remembering by name Mr.Dev, an old neighbour, who had first brought us to the club. He also remembered my niece's fall from the cycle, my songs and Vishnu's boating.
After pizzas and tea, my nephew and son settled to play carrom board.
Once again , I was foolish to suggest to my father that we could sit and watch the other two but not him. He settled into the chair across the carrom board with such ease that I felt like a novice. He deftly took the striker , lo and behold, the coin went into the pocket. The three of us were elated with joy. Thereafter we played four games where he was in complete control and command guiding us how to hit a coin and ensure it reached the pocket,  gesturing with regret when any of us  missed a coin.  As for him, he pocketed the most difficult shots and gave his cute toothless smile.
I was overwhelmed by these two acts of my father, playing TT and carrom.
So many of us including me, refuse to play or exercise citing old age, shortage of time or tiredness. My father walks for about 50 minutes twice a day even now. He does his famous back walk, stretches and light exercises while listening to divine songs of Vishnu, Narayan, Hanuman, Saraswati etc. No wonder he reminded me of the iconic man in advertisement of Zandu Kedari Jeevan and fitted it to the T.
There is so much to learn from him, his unconditional love for each of his children and grand children. His relentless prayers for our welfare. His devotion to God and the various poojas offered by him in the temple. His simplicity and no-nonsense attitude to adhere to the norms. His timekeeping punctuality which none of us can match. His ever adjusting nature with regard to food or it's timing. His zeal for walking and exercising at this age. We are more than lucky to have been born in this family and be a recipient of the love and emotional support of our parents. They missed making that brick and mortar home which my mother always yearned for but he had certainly made a home for himself not only in the heart's of his children and grand children but also in the hearts of every person whose life he touched.
Love you Appa, and thank you for making me realise once again that life's little pleasures are wonderful treasures.....

9 comments:

  1. Wow!!what a write up! Shabaaash!a daughter's narration is as awe insoiring as Appa's zest for life. May God bless Appa and may he live a hundred years with all his zest for life and strength to enjoy intact: jeevem shardah shatam, shrunuyaam shardah shatam, pabravam shardah shatam, bhooyashch shardah shataat..amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guruji, shabaash from Guruji...what more can one ask for....am.on cloud nine....love you....

      Delete
    2. Guruji, shabaash from Guruji...what more can one ask for....am.on cloud nine....love you....

      Delete
  2. Had the privilege of meeting him during your book launch..
    His aura reflects the purity of thought, emotion and intention...
    Kesari Jeevan is gift which very few people deserve...
    When walk along the fields that harness the flower of Kesar in Kashmir you feel the energy of cosmos...

    Your words truly reflect that energy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sir for always encouraging me...you are so generous with your compliments...hope some day I will see the kesar fields in Kashmir and feel its energy...

      Delete
  3. Amazing...he is such an inspiration and no doubt where your energy comes from.. it's always said.. "Jade majboor honi chahiye". I m blessed to know such storing personalities in life who are my inspiration... Thank you for sharing Ma'am.๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice write up Mam...Once again reminding us to live life happily by enjoying small things in life...Your love n respect for your mother n father always gets expressed in ur such write ups...

    ReplyDelete

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe"

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe" Last week I was invited to AUM , The Centre of Global Art locate...