Saturday 5 December 2020

Dealing with disappointments : Finite dissapointments to Infinite hope

Dealing with disappointments : Finite dissapointments to Infinite hope

Life has many ups and downs. Most would easily agree with me. This maybe due to the various experiences we have in our lives or also due to the strength of our  upbringing.
For me too, things were never hunky dory and I have had my share of struggles.  Being straightforward,  cut and right , has led to many problems. Often I have invited  troubles by putting my foot in my mouth. Yet every time I have bounced back slowly but surely. 
Each one of us has our own share of dissapointments, failures, troubles and struggles but that does not mean that good days are never going to come back. Life is a cycle and what goes up must come down. So neither good days nor bad days can last forever.
What one has to learn is to find balance between the repeated swinging of the pendulum of life from one end to another. Often it is our  family, friends, colleagues and peers who help us do it but in reality it is one's own self which helps us tide over crises. 
I have been blessed to have a family which has supported me in every leg of my journey.  My friends have been my comfort,  my colleagues and staff my support system. Together with them the journey of my life has become joyful.  And it is not that there have been no adversaries or opponents but I have learnt to co-exist with them. So ultimately it is all about balance and self control. 
We must know that people,  places and things may hurt or dissapoint us. These may include those whom we love the most,  our family, friends and colleagues. The hurt may not be intentional or people  may behave in a particular manner due to the situations they are placed in but  their words or actions do affect us positively and at times adversely.
If we think back later , we may realise that it was our perception and not their words which caused us anguish. 
It is natural for all human beings  to get  hurt by the words and acts of others at some point in their life. However our minds can help us overcome our dissapointments.
We have to learn to protect and steel ourselves so that others are unable to rattle our nerves. Doing this is not very difficult specially if one takes steps like simply experiencing the feeling and getting over it. Time is the best healer and things smoothen out or fade out with time. We could also learn a lot from children who usually move on without holding grudges in their hearts.
It is important to experience the feeling and get over it rather than let it spoil your present and the future. Time gives us room to accommodate our thoughts as well as those of others. It therefore makes things easier creating a win win situation for everybody.  We must love ourselves like a friend who let's us bounce back to normal.
Of course our core values must centre around positivity so that it becomes easier to overcome bitter situations. 
Some people see me as short-tempered, stern, adamant or resolute but I have observed that most people come around when they ultimately see my view point. Of course a few would  never see my view point nor agree with me but I believe that it is not possible to make everyone happy. Apart from diasgreeing some may even dislike you yet it is important to harbor positive feelings of love and kindness towards others and avoid negativity. Whenever I am disappointed I bounce back only due to these core values. 
I strongly believe in the goodness of every human being and feel that circumstances make them behave differently in different situations. 
I am an eternal believer in the fact that this too shall pass and good times will return eventually. 
This has always helped me to overcome my disappointments and worries. Of course accepting the good with the bad, the dissapointments with the success has also helped. 
Another important point which I always bear in mind is that I may be disappointed or fail but I am not a failure or a non-performer. I feel sure that in my own way i make a difference in society.  My presence adds value to it. I have to learn from my mistakes and those of others and move on.
Agreed that I times I may have wallowed in pain and self-pity but ultimately I learnt to do things differently and in the best way possible for me each time.
Setbacks are a part of life but one has to stay strong,  learn and improve by handling them.
Being grateful for all the creature comforts in my life has also helped me to overcome my disappointments.
Keeping the channels of communication open and sharing with others also helps me to vent out my thoughts and feelings.  In fact I consider this my strongest quality because my openness in sharing  unburdens me from the pressure of pretence.
And neither do I expect everyone to be perfect. The most important thing I always ask myself is would this matter to me five years from now?  That has helped me a lot in moving ahead.
And if you are so stressed just take break , nothing in life is worth losing your sleep over it. Helping others and being regular in exercise also gives us support . Reading and writing or doing any activity which is creative is a great diversion.
At all times it is important to maintain your self-esteem and keep your spirits high to enable growth.
Disappointment is therefore not a mountain which cannot be scaled. In fact it is learning to climb up the hill slowly and surely one step at a time without being bitter.
Life is a beautiful gift given by God and we have to live it fully under all circumstances. For me, thinking of suicide is insanity, an act of cowardice and ungratefulness to God who has given us this opportunity to make a difference in this world. None of us know whether we will live for minutes, days or months. However what is in our hands is to make every single second in our life beautiful and fruitful. So while disappointment maybe inevitable learning to face it is a choice available to each one of us. Or as rightly said by Martin Luther King, Jr., "We must accept finite disappointment but we must never lose infinite hope."





13 comments:

  1. Christian Bernard who performed the first heart transplant operation wrote: from despair thoughts lead only to one direction-hope. Well written piece full of positivity and need for resilience un face of adversity. Keep up with your this bent of mind. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Guruji....for always raising my spirits....

      Delete
  2. Well articulated and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine blog in which you have explained in detail how to deal with disappointments. This is the need of the hour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true madam
    Rajashree

    ReplyDelete
  5. So positive... One must think of every word written so cautiously... Nice blog Ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. परमेश्वराने दिलेले आयुष्य अनमोल असून ते कसं जगावं याच सत्य व वास्तव सांगणारा सुंदर लेख.
    असेच प्रेरणादायी विचार/लेख यापुढेही वाचायला आवडेल.
    धन्यवाद

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have rightly said Time is the best healer for everything. Disappointments and failure do shake us,but over time and with our basic values we try to bounce back. Nice positive vibes shared. Superb..👌👏

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautifully written with positive vibes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great thoughts 🙏🌷👌👌🌷🙏 & Nice write up mam 🌷🌷👌👌🌷🌷

    You are Great mam 🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe"

"Whispers in the Woods: A Message from Trees to the man-made Axe" Last week I was invited to AUM , The Centre of Global Art locate...